Caribbean Island Updates – news about the recovery from hurricanes Irma, Jose and Maria
Hurricanes Irma, Jose and Maria swept over several Caribbean islands in September of 2017. This page serves as a source of factual information on the recovery of the villas, hotels and businesses on select islands. Check back for daily updates (please refresh the page to see the latest news).
St Barthelemy (Updated Monday, June 18) – Latest News: Nikki Beach, Bonito and Hotel Manapany all reopened in March. Christopher Hotel will reopen in October, however their Mango restaurant and Sisley Spa are open now. The St Barth Gourmet Festival will run from November 1-4.
Links for information on other Islands – Anguilla | Turks and Caicos | St. Martin | Virgin Islands | Antigua
- Villas: As of April 1, over 60 percent of the villas in WIMCO’s portfolio have been reopened. Call 1-800-449-1553 for details, or write us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Concierge Office: WIMCO’s St Barths concierge services office across from the airport is open, our team looks forward to welcoming you to the island.
- Restaurants: See Details
- Open now! Pearl Beach (formerly La Plage), Nikki Beach, Le Ti St Barth, Bonito, Shellona, Baz Bar, Bar L’Oubli, Isola, Bagatelle, Eddy’s, Maya’s to Go, Le Select, La Cantina, Black Ginger, Le Quartier Général, La Langouste, Le Bouchon, Tamarin, L’Entracte, Orega, Esprit de Jean Claude, Le Village St. Jean, La Guerite, Yo Sushi Mania, 25 Quarter, Galawa (ex Pipri), Le Jardin, Isoletta, Le Repaire, Le Vietnam, Ociela St. Barth, Island Flavors, Grain de Sel, Le Piment, Fresh West Indies, Chez Joe, Le Glacier, Bistro Josephine, Au Regal, L’Ardoise, Burger Palace, Papa’s Pizza, La Creperie, Les Bananiers and Mango.
- Re-opening later in 2018 – Le Toiny Beach Club (2018). Mayas (Summer 2018), Sante Fe. Check back daily for updates.
- Grocery Stores: Marché U in St Jean, AMC in Gustavia, the Airport Superette in St Jean, Jojo Supermarket in Lorient, and Le Rendez Vous in St Jean are all open. The Mini Mart in Lorient, U Express in the Oasis shopping center.
- Flights: St. Barts’ Gustav III airport (SBH) is open for commercial operations. Call WIMCO’s air department at 1-800-449-1553 to schedule flights.
- St Barth Commuter – Operating daily scheduled flights from St Martin and Guadeloupe.
- Tradewind Aviation – Operating daily flights from San Juan to St Barths, with the first flight leaving at 8am most days. Operating daily flights from Antigua to St Barths.
- Winair: Winair has daily scheduled flights from St. Maarten (St Martin) to St. Barths.
- Air Antilles – Operating flights to St Barths from Guadeloupe.
- Air America and Paradise Air – Operating charter flights from San Juan to St Barths.
- Open now! – Manapany, Villa Marie, Tom Beach Hotel, The Sunset, Ti Morne, Auberge de Terre Neuve, Le Village St Barth, Villa Lodge 4 Epices, Baie des Anges, Les Ondines, Saline Garden, Les Sucriers, Les Ilets de la Plage and Le Nid d’Aigle. Call 1-800-449-1553 for reservations or click to inquire about St. Barths hotels.
- Reopening in 2018, dates TBD – Christopher Hotel (October) Le Barthelemy (October 28, 2018). Hotels planning to open by December include Cheval Blanc (December 1st), Eden Rock Hotel (December 22nd), Le Toiny, Emeraude Plage, Tropical Hotel. Waiting for reopening dates from Isle de France hotel, Le Sereno, and Guanahani hotel.
- Read a Letter From WIMCO’s CEO about what the situation is like for people visiting the island this season
- Beaches: The Collectivité announced in November 2017 that all beaches have been cleaned, and opened to the public:
- Shops: See Full List
- Cuban Cigar (Gustavia), Le Cellier du Gouverneur (Gustavia), Ligne St. Barths (Gustavia), Hermes (Gustavia), La Cave du Port Franc (Public), Mbolo Rhum St. Barth (St. Jean).
- Events: Jimmy Buffett performed a free benefit concert on the waterfront in Gustavia on Wednesday, December 27th – details here. The St. Barths Music Festival took place in January 2018. St. Barths Bucket Regatta ran from March 14-17, 2018, link to the website here. Les Voiles de St. Barth regatta runs from April 8-14, 2018, link to their website here. St Barths GOurmet festival will run from November 1-4, 2018.
- Port: The Great Bay Express Ferry resumed its ferry service between St. Martin and St. Barths Oct. 13th. The commercial port facilities are open. The Cruise company
- Roads: Roadways are open for all vehicles in all areas of the island. The gas station in St Jean in open.
- Electricity: Electricity is restored in all areas of the island. Internet service is now widely available. Wi-fi hot spots have been installed in six neighborhoods. Cellular phone service is widely available
- Water: City water has been restored in all neighborhoods. Rough seas may lead to periodic closure of the Desalinization plant this winter. Call WIMCO for details.
- Health Services: The hospital in St. Barths is fully functional. The community services center of Saint-Barthélemy is open.
- Boat services: Boat charter companies Jicky Marine and Master-Ski Pilou are open
To see updates from other Caribbean islands – click here – Anguilla | Turks and Caicos | St. Martin | Virgin Islands | Antigua