St. Martin Hotels Re-opening Dates after Irma
The Caribbean island of St. Maarten/St Martin is dusting itself off, and rebuilding after having suffered a direct hit from hurricane Irma in September of 2017. As spring arrives, the roads are free of debris, several restaurants and shops have reopened, and beaches have been cleaned and reopened. As of March 1, ten hotels and inns have reopened on the French side of St. Martin, and twelve hotels and inns have reopened on the Dutch side of the island. Private villas will begin accepting guests the first week of April. Princess Juliana International Airport reopened in October, and while its main terminal is undergoing repairs a temporary terminal has been set-up. On the French side, Grand Case International Airport is open. Taxis service is available at both airports, and ferry service to St Barths and Anguilla is fully operational. See details below.
Hotels open in Saint Martin (French Side):
- Grand Case: Bleu Emeraude Residence and Hever Hotel.
- Sandy Ground: Mercure Saint Martin Marina and Spa Hotel.
- Other: Le Beach, Les Balcons, Golfe Hotel, Shamrock residences, Adam & Eve residences, Mon Reve guesthouse
Projected Re-opening Dates for select hotels in Saint Martin (French side):
- Hotel La Plantation will be having a soft opening April 16th, 2018.
- Oyster Bay Beach Resort will open with limited rooms in April, 2018
- Le Petit Hotel will open June 1st, 2018.
- Marquis Boutique Hotel opening June 2018.
- Grand Case Beach Club opening October 1, 2018.
- Hotel L’Esplanade will open on November 1, 2018.
- Le Shambala Hotel will be open in November, 2018
- Alamanda Resort will open November, 2018.
- Belmond La Samanna Hotel will open late 2018.
Villas available to rent in Saint Martin (French side):
WIMCO reports that of the 114 private villas in its portfolio in St Martin, 17 villas will available for rent starting in the first week of April. Select villas available for a spring vacation in St Martin:
Hotels open in St. Maarten (Dutch Side):
- Simpson Bay: Atrium Beach Resort, Commodore Suites, Baker’s Suites, Travel Inn Hotel, Simpson Bay Suites, El Zafiro Boutique Hotel, Mary’s Boon Beach Plantation Resort.
- Dawn Beach: Princess Heights Luxury Condo Hotel.
- Philipsburg: Alicia’s Inn, Holland House Beach Hotel, Horizon View Beach Hotel.
Projected Re-opening Dates for hotels in St. Maarten (Dutch side):
- The Belair Beach Hotel will open by the end of March, 2018.
- The Colombus Hotel will open at the end of April, 2018.
- Divi Little Bay Beach Resort will reopen on May 1st, 2018.
- Sonesta Ocean Point Resort will open August 31, 2018.
- The Westin Dawn Beach Resort and Spa is undergoing repairs and will open for the 2019 season.
St Martin has a reputation as a foodies paradise, and as of March 1, the Tourism Board lists 48 restaurants open on the French side of the island. Many other restaurants are open on the Dutch side around Simpson Bay and Philipsburg. Grocery stores are fully provisioned and many of the local shops in Phillipsburg have reopened. Princess Juliana International Airport reopened in October, and while its main terminal is undergoing repairs a temporary terminal has been set-up. On the French side, Grand Case International Airport is open. Taxis service is available at both airports, and ferry service to St Barths and Anguilla is fully operational.
Top Restaurants Open in Saint Martin (French side):
- Marigot – Bistro de la Mer, Le Patio, Le Grand Saint Martin, La Main a la Pate, Tropicana, O Plongeoir, Le Grillardin, Chez Polo, L’Arhawak, La Terrasse, Yacht Club.
- Grand Case – La Villa Restaurant, Bistrot Caraibes, Cafe Spiga, Blue Martini, Rainbow Cafe, Les Bains, Max Place, Piazza Pascal, Spiga, La Villa.
- Orient Bay – Bikini, Kontiki, The Alamanda Kitchen and The Perch Beach Bar and Grille at Club Orient, Rancho del Sol, Cafe Plantation, L’Epicurien, Le P’tit Bistro.
- Baie Rouge – Raymond
- Pinel Island – Karibuni
- Nettle Bay – Les Voiles.
- Bellevue – Bistrot Da Vinci, La Fourchette, Le Gouter, Rice upon a time.
- Port La Royale Marina – Crêperie du Lagon, La Main à la Pâte, La Source.
- Saint James – Chez Dounce, You & Me.
- Oyster Pond – BYZ, Mama Pizza, L’Oasis, La Petite Pause, Quaie Ouest.
- Sandy Ground – Pizz’ Hayo.
Top Restaurants & Casinos Open in St Maarten (Dutch side):
- Simpsons Bay Restaurants: Little Bamboo, Toppers, Avantika, Buccaneers, Shiv Shakti, Sal & Pepe, Top Carrot, The Carrousel, Thai Savanna, Beirut, The Green House and Pineapple Pete.
- Jump Up Casino in the town of Philipsburg
- The Hollywood Casino in Pelican
- The Princess Casino at Port de Plaisance
- Tropicana Casino in Cole Ba
Many of the islands premier attractions are up and running such as snorkeling, charter boat cruises, zip lines, and a new Eco-adventure park called Rain Forest Adventures. The recovery of the island of St Martin is underway. For more details about hotel or villa rental availability, contact WIMCO Villas at 1-401-849-8012 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read about the best beaches on St. Martin.
Book your St Martin villa now
*Sources: On-island agents, updates from local partners and businesses, St. Martin Tourism, https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/02/travel/st-martin-caribbean-hurricane-recovery.html , http://www.stmartinisland.org/, http://www.st-martin-vacation.com/restaurants.html, Caribbean Journal