Picture a Robinson Crusoe-like setting, a swatch of pristine beach, swaying coconut trees, a gentle surf lapping the shore, hardly a soul in sight, and not a hotel tower or cruise ship in sight…then you turn away from that mesmerizing view as your butler asks if you’d like another drink.
Today’s private island resorts offer a level of privacy and service that’s hard to match. Expect VIP transfer to the private island in either a private boat charter or a helicopter, intimate contemporary private villas for two to six people with a faux-rustic charm, private swimming pools and staffing that is at once always available while being nearly invisible.
Welcome to the private island resort experience, a bucket list vacation. Here are some of our favorites in the Caribbean:
Perhaps you saw the videos posted on Facebook and CNN in 2016 of former president Barak Obama cavorting in the waves with Sir Richard Branson in tow. The private island vacation experience at Necker Island is like no other in terms of the services and amenities guests can enjoy. The resort sits on an idyllic island amidst the archipelago of small tropical islands which make up the North Sound area of the British Virgin Islands. By day you can relax on the beach, snorkel on the coral reefs just off-shore, or play a game of tennis. Most of the year the private island resort is only available to rent in its entirety. However during the aptly named “Celebration Weeks” one can rent individual villas on Necker Island, and who you might rub shoulders with further adds to the allure. Check with one of our villa specialists for availability.
Some highlights – Villa Bali Lo is a three-tiered Balinese house in the middle of Necker island with a ground floor lounge, a bedroom located on the middle level and a cushioned relaxation area on the top floor. Villas Bali Lo, Bali Buah and Bali Kukila all share a swimming pool.
Rooms in the Necker Island Great House all boast spectacular sea views with private balconies. Each bedroom in the Great House comes with a large balcony with views out to sea or across Necker Island. All rooms feature an en-suite bathroom with a shower and wooden screens which can be opened for interrupted views through the bedroom. All rooms have a King-size bed and most can be twinned on request. Interconnecting rooms are available for families traveling together.
This 3 mile long private island resort is one of the most secluded and exclusive resort islands in the Caribbean. Just 35 minutes by boat from Providenciales, Parrot Cay beckons with over 1,000 acres of pristine white-sand beaches and lush tropical landscapes. Much more than a resort, Parrot Cay is a sanctuary, a mystical place in which to renew your spirit and discover your bliss. For guests seeking the ultimate escape with luxury and service, six private beachfront villas offer inspiring ocean views, spectacular sunsets, private butler service and amenities designed to meet every need for an island getaway like none other. Parrot Cay’s Shambhala Spa offers Asian Inspired holistic therapies, while the Lotus restaurant provides the ideal setting for a candle lit waterfront dinner for two. Rates villas on this private island start at $1,900 per night in peak season.
Read more: Turks & Caicos Island Eats
Set on a 300-acre private island just off the coast of Antigua, Jumby Bay is a naturalist’s haven noted for its lush tropical landscape, palm tree lined paths and private white sand beaches. There are no cars on the island, guests travel from villa to beach to activities on bicycles and golf carts, contributing to the peaceful atmosphere. One other special feature of this private island resort is that you don’t need to carry and cash or credit cards with you during the day…the price you pay for your villa includes food, beverages and all activities. Guests vacationing at Jumby Bafor villas on this private island t at $1,150 per night in peak season.
Read more: The Best 5 Eco Vacations in The Caribbean
Uninhabited until the late 1960’s when Norway’s Torlof Smedvig and his family built 20 A-frame villas, a small marina, a clubhouse, a pool, a lobby bar and a dining room. Peter Island Resort & Spa has always been a family affair, in 1978 this avid sailor purchased the private island and lovingly upgraded all of the villas and buildings. Today his children still oversee every aspect of the private island’s operations, preserving both their father’s legacy and the resort’s most important amenity: the pristine natural beauty of the island itself. Guests vacationing at Peter Island resort have several dining options and the 10,000-square-foot Spa includes 10 indoor treatment rooms, two outdoor bohios and couple’s suites. Rates for the villas on this private island start at $900 a night in peak season.
WIMCO can also reserve getaway weekends or week-long vacations at several other private island resorts:
– Oil Nut Bay, in the North Sound area of the British Virgin Islands, features a dozen private villas overlooking a quiet cove protected by a coral reef. A central dining room and pool club sits right on the beach, and is the center of daily activity. Guests scoot around the island in electric golf carts and enjoy a world class spa, tennis, boat charters to nearby snorkeling hot spots. Oil Nut Bay private island resort is accessible by private boat from Virgin Gorda or Tortola.
– Musha Cay at Copperfield Bay in the Exuma Chain in the southern Bahamas. This exclusive private-island resort in the Bahamas has luxurious villas that can accommodate up to 24 guests. It is owned by illusionist David Copperfield, and is located 85 miles southeast of Nassau.
– Calavigny Island is a private island resort not far from Grenada. This 80 acre island has a Great House and several private villas that together can accommodate up to 50 guests. When you vacation on Calavigny Island you will have complimentary access to a fleet of boats, private chefs, guided snorkle and scuba trips and more.
– Scrub Island in the British Virgin Islands, features a marina, two restaurants, a dozen private villas, and an idyllic quarter mile long private beach with a beach bar and pool that will make it awfully hard to leave. This private island is just a 10 minute ferry ride from Tortola.
– Pine Cay is an 800-acre private island resort that features the 13 bedroom Meridian Club and a dozen private villas for rent by the week. The main beach on the island is over 2 miles long, and you often have it all to yourself. Guests on the island scoop about on electric golf carts and bicycles. Pine Cay island is in the Turks & Caicos islands and is accessed by private boat charter from a doc in the Leeward area of on Providentiales.
– Guana Island – a 850-acre nature preserve where meandering stone paths bordered with fragrant jasmine and frangipani trees lead to detached cottages and private villas perched on a ridge, each with crisp whitewashed walls and floors and private terraces, a great spot to enjoy the trade wind breezes. The “club,” a historic stone building dating to the 18th century (when the island was a Quaker sugar plantation), serves as a gathering place for meals and the nightly cocktail hour.
Mustique …ultimate private island resort with 80 private villas to rent by the week, one hotel (The Cotton House), and the celebrated watering hole Basils Bar. Guests here enjoy full staffed villas, private chefs who can cater a lunch on the beach, a celebrated spa, and a tennis center with world class pros.
…and that’s not all! When you ask one of out Villa Specialists to arrange your private island resort vacation, they will also set-up your international and local flights, private boat charter and VIP welcome service.