Update on the recovery of the Caribbean Islands Following Hurricanes Irma and Maria
Hurricane Irma passed through the Caribbean on September 5-7, 2017. Jose and Maria followed shortly thereafter. Several islands were battered by high winds and storm surges. This page serves as a source of factual information on the recovery of tourism infrastructure on each island. Contrary to what you may be reading, most of the Caribbean islands will be “Open for Business” this coming winter. Check back for daily updates (please refresh the page to see the latest news).
See St Barths updates below. Links to other update pages – Anguilla | Turks and Caicos | St. Martin | Virgin Islands | Antigua
St Barthelemy (Updated Tuesday, Oct 17).
** Latest News: St Barths will be “Open for Business” in November. Flights from San Juan to St Barths resumed on Oct 1, and flights from St. Martin to St. Barths resumed Oct 10th. Popular restaurants that will be open for the holidays – Shellona, La Plage, Le Ti, Mayas, Isola. Hotels will open for the holidays – Tom Beach, Les Ilets de la Plage, Le Village St Jean, Baie des Anges, Sunset, Salines Garden, Petit Morne
- Villas: WIMCO’s local team is inspecting villas, talking with villa managers, and forecasting a re-opening date for each villa. A good number of villas are confirmed reopening in time for the holidays, with an increasing number available each week. Call 1-800-449-1553 for details.
- WIMCO’s St Barths concierge services office is open, our team looks forward to welcoming you to the island.
- Restaurants: See Details
- Open now! Bar L’Oubli, Le Select, Le Bouchon, 25 Quarter, Galawa (ex Pipri), Le Jardin, Isoletta, Le Vietnam, Island Flavors, Fresh West Indies, Bistro Josephine, Au Regal, L’Ardoise, Burger Palace, La Creperie and Les Bananiers. Local bakeries open include La Petite Colombe and Boulangerie Choisy bakery.
- Opening in October! Le Ti St Barth, Eddy’s, Esprit de Jean Claude, Isola, La Langouste, Le Piment, and Yo Sushi Mania.
- Opening in November! Black Ginger, La Cantina, L’Entracte, Tamarin, Orega and Maya’s to Go
- Opening by December 23! La Plage, Bagatelle, Shellona, Guerite, Maya’s and Toiny Beach Club – (working to have the beach ready by Christmas)
- Re-opening in 2018 – Nikki Beach (March), Mango (March), Bonito (February). Check back daily for updates.
- Flights: St. Barts’ Gustav III airport (SBH) is opened for commercial operations. Call WIMCO’s air department at 1-800-449-1553 to schedule flights.
- St Barth Commuter – Is operating scheduled flights daily to Guadeloupe. The Daily flight to St. Martin Grand Case (SFG) resumed September 23rd. They will resume the Juliana (SXM) flight Saturday, Oct 28.
- Tradewind Aviation – Flights from San Juan to St Barths resumed on Oct 1. Flights from Antigua to St Barths resumed on Oct 2.
- Winair: Winair has 3-4 daily flights for St. Maarten to St. Barth.
- Air Antilles – Flights to St Barths from Guadeloupe are active.
- Opening by Thanksgiving 2017 – The Sunset, Ti Morne, Auberge de Terre Neuve, Tom Beach, Le Village St Barth, Villa Lodge 4 Epices, Baie des Anges, Les Ondines, Saline Garden, Les Sucriers, Les Ilets de la Plage and Le Nid d’Aigle. Call 1-800-449-1553 for reservations
- Reopening in 2018, dates TBD – Christopher (March), Eden Rock, Cheval Blanc, Le Barthelemy, Le Toiny, Villa Marie, Emeraude Plage, Tropical.
- Port: The commercial port facilities are open. The Tourist Office has announced that the first cruise ships are expected on October 30, 2017. The Great Bay Express Ferry resumed its ferry service between St. Martin and St. Barths Oct. 13th.
- Roads: Roadways are open for all vehicles in all areas of the island.
- Electricity: Electricity is restored in Gustavia, Saint Jean, Lorient, Pointe Milou, Marigot, and many other areas of the island. Internet service is now widely available. Wi-fi hot spots have been installed. Cellular phone service is available in Gustavia and by the airport.
- Water: City water has been restored in several neighborhoods. The restriction of running water is lifted. More updates to come.
- Food: The Super U and AMC Grocery stores in Saint-Jean are open.
- Aid: The hospital in St. Barths is fully functional. The gas station in St Jean in open. The community services center of Saint-Barthélemy is open. The Collectivité’s command center for recovery efforts is located on the second floor of the airport. LA company near the nursery is open to sharpen chain saws in Lorient. Tarps are being distributed at the dojo next to the community pool. Donations for rebuilding damaged homes can be made at – gofundme.com/stbarthstrong1
- Services: Jicky Marine will be up and running starting Nov 1st. Master-Ski Pilou will open Nov. 1st. The furniture and decor shop Villa Victoria has re-opened in Gustavia.
- Beaches: The Collectivité has announced that swimming is now allowed at public bays, Lorient, Shell Beach, and the western part of St. Jean Bay (airport side).
- Events: The St. Barths Music Festival will take place as planned in January 2018, http://www.stbartsmusicfestival.org/. St. Barths Bucket Regatta March 2018 is on, link to the website here – https://www.bucketregatta.com/. Les Voiles de St. Barth April 2018 is on, link to their website here – https://www.lesvoilesdesaintbarth.com/us/.
To see updates from our other destinations click here – Anguilla | Turks and Caicos | St. Martin | Virgin Islands | Antigua