Update on the recovery of the Caribbean Islands
Hurricane Irma passed through the Caribbean on September 5-7, 2017. Jose and Maria followed shortly thereafter. Several islands were battered by high winds and storm surges. This page serves as a source of factual information on the recovery of the villas, hotels and businesses on select islands. Contrary to what you may be reading, most of the Caribbean islands will be “Open for Business” this coming winter. Check back for daily updates (please refresh the page to see the latest news).
See St Barths updates below. Links to other update pages – Anguilla | Turks and Caicos | St. Martin | Virgin Islands | Antigua
St Barthelemy (Updated Monday, Dec 4).
** Latest News: St Barths will be “Open for Business” in November. Flights from San Juan to St Barths resumed on Oct 1, and flights from St. Martin to St. Barths resumed Oct 10th. Popular restaurants that will be open for the holidays – La Plage, Shellona, Le Ti, Isola and 44 others. Hotels open for the holidays – Tom Beach, Les Ilets de la Plage, Le Village St Jean, Baie des Anges, Sunset, Salines Garden, Petit Morne
- Villas: WIMCO’s local team is inspecting villas, talking with villa managers, and forecasting a re-opening date for each villa. A good number of villas have confirmed reopening dates in time for the holidays, with an increasing number available each week. Call 1-800-449-1553 for details, or write us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Concierge Office: WIMCO’s St Barths concierge services office across from the airport is open, our team looks forward to welcoming you to the island.
- Restaurants: See Details
- Open now! Le Ti St Barth, Bar L’Oubli, Isola, Eddy’s, Maya’s to Go, Le Select, La Cantina, Black Ginger, La Langouste, Le Bouchon, Tamarin, L’Entracte, Esprit de Jean Claude, Yo Sushi Mania, 25 Quarter, Galawa (ex Pipri), Le Jardin, Isoletta, Le Repaire, Le Vietnam, Ociela St. Barth, Island Flavors, Grain de Sel, Le Piment, Fresh West Indies, Chez Joe, Le Glacier, Bistro Josephine, Au Regal, L’Ardoise, Burger Palace, Papa’s Pizza, La Creperie and Les Bananiers. Local bakeries open include La Petite Colombe and Boulangerie Choisy bakery.
- Opening by December 23! La Plage, Shellona (ready by Christmas), Bagatelle, Le Village St. Jean, La Guerite, Orega, and The Hideaway
- Re-opening in 2018 – Maya’s (February), Bonito (February), Nikki Beach (March), Mango (March), Le Toiny Beach Club (Spring 2018). Check back daily for updates.
- Grocery Stores: Marché U in St Jean, AMC in Gustavia, the Airport Superette in St Jean, Jojo Supermarket in Lorient, and Le Rendez Vous in St Jean are all open. Organic store, La Vie Clair in Anse des Cayes will reopen on December 7th. The Mini Mart in Lorient is still closed, and the U Express in the Oasis shopping center is still closed.
- Flights: St. Barts’ Gustav III airport (SBH) is opened for commercial operations. Call WIMCO’s air department at 1-800-449-1553 to schedule flights.
- St Barth Commuter – Is operating daily scheduled flights from St Martin and Guadeloupe.
- Tradewind Aviation – Flights from San Juan to St Barths resumed on Oct 1. Flights from Antigua to St Barths resumed on Oct 2.
- Winair: Winair has 3-4 daily scheduled flights from St. Maarten to St. Barth.
- Air Antilles – Flights to St Barths from Guadeloupe are active.
- Air America and Paradise Air – Operating charter flights from San Juan to St Barths.
- Open now! – The Sunset, Ti Morne, Auberge de Terre Neuve, Le Village St Barth, Villa Lodge 4 Epices, Baie des Anges, Les Ondines, Saline Garden, Les Sucriers, Les Ilets de la Plage and Le Nid d’Aigle. Call 1-800-449-1553 for reservations
- Opening by December 23! Tom Beach Hotel & La Plage restaurant
- Reopening in 2018, dates TBD – Christopher (March), Villa Marie (March), Eden Rock, Cheval Blanc, Le Barthelemy, Le Toiny, Emeraude Plage, Tropical.
- Beaches: The Collectivité announced the swimming is allowed again at these beaches: Colombier, Flamands, Anse des Cayes, Corossol, Gouverneur, Petit cul de Sac, Lorient, Shell Beach, St Jean (western side only), and Public. All other beaches are open.
- Shops: See Full List
- Cuban Cigar (Gustavia), Le Cellier du Gouverneur (Gustavia), Ligne St. Barths (Gustavia), Hermes (Gustavia), La Cave du Port Franc (Public), Mbolo Rhum St. Barth (St. Jean).
- Events: The St. Barths Music Festival will take place as planned in January 2018. St. Barths Bucket Regatta March 2018 is on, link to the website here. Les Voiles de St. Barth April 2018 is on, link to their website here.
- Port: The Great Bay Express Ferry resumed its ferry service between St. Martin and St. Barths Oct. 13th. The commercial port facilities are open. The Cruise company
- Roads: Roadways are open for all vehicles in all areas of the island. The gas station in St Jean in open.
- Electricity: Electricity is restored in all areas of the island. Internet service is now widely available. Wi-fi hot spots have been installed. Cellular phone service is widely available
- Water: City water has been restored in all neighborhoods
- Aid: The hospital in St. Barths is fully functional. The community services center of Saint-Barthélemy is open. Donations for rebuilding damaged buildings can be made at – gofundme.com/stbarthstrong1
- Services: Boat charter companies Jicky Marine and Master-Ski Pilou are open
To see updates from our other destinations click here – Anguilla | Turks and Caicos | St. Martin | Virgin Islands | Antigua