Virgin Islands Hurricane Recovery News
Update on the recovery of the Virgin Islands Following Hurricanes Irma and Maria
Hurricane Irma passed through the Caribbean on September 5-7, 2017. Jose and Maria followed shortly thereafter. Several islands were battered by high winds and storm surges. This page serves as a source of factual information on the recovery of tourism infrastructure on the Virgin Islands. Check back for daily updates (please refresh the page to see the latest news).
St Barthelemy | Anguilla | St. Martin | Virgin Islands |Turks and Caicos |Antigua | Hurricane News
(Updated Monday, August 20th)
Nearly 10 months after Hurricanes Irma and Maria ripped through the Caribbean, both the US and British Virgin Islands have been working hard to rebuild their businesses so people may come and enjoy the beautiful islands once again. More and more resorts are opening their doors to guests on a daily basis, and restaurants are serving the most mouthwatering dishes in the Caribbean! Beaches have also been cleaned up where the clear blue water, warm soft sand, and tall majestic palm trees await your arrival!
** Latest News: Commercial flights have resumed at the Terrance B. Lettsome International Airport on Beef Island, Tortola. Virgin Gorda’s Taddy Bay Airport and Anegada’s Auguste George Airport have both resumed commercial flights.
- Hotels Open for Business: Estate Lindholm, Gallows Point Resort, Cruz Bay Boutique Hotel, Grande Bay Resort & Residence Club, Sea Shore Allure, Garden By the Sea B&B,
- Westin St. John Resort and Villas will reopen in November 2018.
- Restaurants Open: 420 to Center, Aqua Bistro, Banana Deck, Café Estate Concordia, Caneel Bay Beach Bar & Grill, Caneel Bay Beach Terrace, Cruz Bay Landing, Deli Grotto, High Tide Bar & Seafood Grill, Ocean Grill, Quiet Mon Pub, Snorkel’s Bar & Grill at the Westin, Skinny Legs, Sun Dog Café, The Tap Room, Woody’s Seafood Saloon, Fred’s Restaurant Bar, Hercules Pate Delight, Morgan’s Mango, Rhumb Lines, Viva Cantina, C&D Bakery, Ocean 362, Uncle Joe’s BBQ, Papaya Café, Caneel Bay Turtle Bay Estate House, Café Roma, Da Livio, Zozo’s at the Sugar Mill, Caneel Bay, La Tapa, Ronnie’s Pizza, High Tide Bar & Seafood Grill, The Fish Trap, Lime Inn, Ocean Surfari, The Longboard, Chester’s Getaway, Dog House Pub, Extra Virgin Bistro, Indigio Grill, P & P’s, and Sam and Jack’s Deli, Captain Awesome food truck, Coral Bay Caribbean Oasis, Greengo’s, Island Cork, Margarita Phil’s, Miss Lucy’s, Nella’s Lounge, North Shore Deli, Pizzabar in Paradise, Scoops, and St. John Provisions all have been reopened.
- Villas: In St John, we do not expect to reopen any villas until 2018.
- Port: All seaports in the St. Thomas/St. John district are open.
- Beaches: The Virgin Islands National Park announced that Trunk Bay, Honeymoon Beach and Hawksnest Beach are officially open. Honeymoon Beach Hut reopened Nov. 15 with water sport rentals including beach chairs, pool floats, snorkel gear, kayaks, and stand up paddle boards.
- Ferry Services: Native Son Ferry service has resumed its daily schedule between St. Thomas USVI and Tortola BVI.
- Hotels Open for Business: Crystal Cove at Sapphire Beach, Lindbergh Bay Hotel & Villas, Emerald Beach Resort, Marriott’s Frenchman’s Cove, Margaritaville St. Thomas, Bellavista Bed and Breakfast, Bellavista Scott Hotel, Franko’s Guest House B&B, Two Sandals by the Sea Inn, Secret Harbour Beach Resort, Mafolie Hotel & Restaurant, At Home In The Tropics B&B, Blue Sandcastle Villas, Bunker Hill Hotel, Galleon House, Island View Guest House, Olga’s Fancy, Point Pleasant Resort, and The Green Iguana Hotel
- Bolongo Bay Beach Resort has reopened. The Ritz Carlton expects top open October 1st, 2018. The Windward Passage Hotel is taking reservations for November 2018.
- Closed until further notice– Frenchman’s Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, Island Beachcomber Hotel, McLaughlin Anderson Luxury Villas, Sugar Bay Resort Club & Resort, Windward Passage Hotel, Bluebeard’s Castle Resort, Elysian Beach Resort, and Point Pleasant Resort
- Restaurants Open: Alexander’s Bella Blu, Amalia Café, Arians Bar & Restaurant, Banana Tree Grille, Barefoot Buddha, Barista Coffee Shop, Beni Iguana’s Sushi Bar & Restaurant, Bernies, Buddha Sushi Lounge Grill, Captain’s Café, Caribé, Betsy’s Bar, Bluewater Restaurant, Caribbean Saloon, Castaway Restaurant and Bar, Coco Joe’s, Coconut Cove, Coconut’s Bar and Grill, Coconut’s Snack Shack, Cuzzin’s Caribbean Restaurant, Duffy’s Love Shack, Epernay Wine Bar and Bistro, East End Café, Fat Boy’s, Fat Turtle, Fajita Mexican Restaurant, Frenchtown Deli, Fungi’s on the Beach, Gladys Café, Golden Dragon Chinese Restaurant, Grand Cru, Great Bay Lounge, Havana Blue Restaurant, Havensight Café, Hervé Restaurant and Wine Bar, Hook Line& Sinker, Hooter’s, Hull Bay Hideaway, Iggie’s Beach Bar and Grill, Iguana Grill, Jack’s Restaurant, Jen’s Gourmet Café & Deli, Kokopelli Café, Lotus Asian Grill & Sushi Bar, Magens Bay Café & Pizzeria, Mangrove Café, Manor House Restaurant, Mim’s Seaside Bistro, Molly Malone’s, Oceana’s Restaurant, Off the Hook, Paradise Point Bar & Café, Petite Pump Room Bar and Restaurant, Pizzaria Amore, Portobello Ristorante, Presto Market, Rancho Latinio, Randy’s Bar and Bistro, Robert’s American Grill, Romano’s Restaurant & Art Gallery, Room with a View Restaurant & Bar, Sails Restaurant, Schnitzel Haus, Senor Frogs, Shipwreck Taverm, Sib’s Bar and Restaurant, Sunset Grille, Tavern on the Waterfront, Texas Pit BBQ, The Caribbean Steakhouse Saloon, The Cellar, The Delly Deck, The Greenhouse Restaurant, The Grille and After 5 Lounge, The Lobster Grille, The Malfoie Hotel and Restaurant, The Old Stone Farmhouse Restaurant, The Twisted Cork Café, The Star Market, Tickle’s Dockside Pub, Victor’s New Hideout, Virgilio’s Restaurant, Walker’s by the Sea, Wikked, Windows on the Harbor, Windward Restaurant, Wok Express, and XO Bistro.
- Villas: In St. Thomas, we are documenting the status of each villa, and will issue an update by the end of the month.
- Airport: The Cyril E. King Airport on St. Thomas is open.
- Port: Ports are operational and shipments of supplies are arriving. Native Son Ferry service has resumed its daily schedule between St. Thomas USVI and Tortola BVI. Royal Caribbean Cruise returning to St. Thomas Nov. 10th. Seabourn Odyssey cruise ship has returned to Charlotte Amalie Harbor in St. Thomas on Friday, the first of 25 cruise ships to visit the island this month.
- Hotels Open: Arawak Bay: The Inn at Salt River, Caravelle Hotel, Caribbean Breeze, Chenay Bay Beach Resort, Club Comanche / Hotel St. Croix, Club St. Croix Beach and Tennis Resort, Cottages by the Sea, Cruzan Sands Villa, Holger Danske Hotel, Hotel on the Cay, King Christian Hotel, Mill Harbour Condominiums, Mt. Victory Eco Camground, Northside Valley, Sand Castle on the Beach, Sugar Beach Condo Resort, Tamarind Reef Resort, The Buccaneer, The Fred, The Inn on Strand Street, The Palms at Pelican Cove, The Waves at Cane Bay, Vacation St. Croix, and Villa Dawn
- Restaurants Open: Open for business – Angry Nate’s Boathouse and Seafood Emporium, Baked Cafe, The Bombay Cub, Beach Side Cafe, Blues Backyard BBQ & Grill, Cultured Pelican, La Reine Chicken shack, Love-Croix Helados & Eatz, Mahogany Road Chocolate, Maria’s Cantina, No Bones Cafe, Rum Runners Steaks & Seafood, Sai Gon Deli, Shupe’s on the Boardwalk, Twin City Coffee House & Gallery, Un Amore, Uptown Eatery, You Are Here Bar & Grille, Zion Modern Kitchen.
- Port: The Viking Sea, The Seabourn Sojourn, and the Seabourn Odyssey will all port at St. Criox this December.
- Airport: The Henry E. Rohlsen Airport on St. Croix has reopened for commercial flights.
- Activities: Catch 22 Fishing Charters, Virgin Island Food Tours, Virgin Kayak Tours, St. George Village Botanical Garden, The Buccaneer Hideaway Spa, Cane Bay Dive Shop West, Caravelle Casino, Big Beard’s Adventure Tours.
** More than 80 restaurants and bars are open on Virgin Gorda, Tortola, JVD, Anegada, and Norman Island. The Willy T Floating Bar just opened June 1st in its new location at Great Harbour on Peter Island.
- Villas: WIMCO Villas in Virgin Gorda are expected to be available starting Thanksgiving week 2018.
- Hotels Open: Fischer’s Cove Hotel, Gordian Terrace, Leverick Bay Resort & Marina, Oil Nut Bay, and Virgin Gorda Village Hotel are open. Sugar Mill Hotel will reopen Oct. 1
- Restaurants Open: CocoMaya, Fischer’s Cove Beach Restaurant, Hog Heaven Bar & Restaurant, Jumbies Bar at Leverick, Oil Nut Bay Restaurant, Restaurant at Leverick Bay, Snapper’s Bar and Grill, Top of the Baths, The Village Café and Restaurant, Dixie’s Bar and Restaurant, Food Palace, Reef Restaurant, Greenhouse Bar, Natural Flavors, Mermaids and Pirates, Mimi’s Kitchen, Oil Nut Bay, Rada’s Restaurant and Bar, Saucez, Tasters, The Bath and Turtle Restaurant, Village Cafe at Olde Yard Village are all open
- Resorts: Peter Island Resort & Spa will have a partial reopening in October, Biras Creek is scheduled to open 12 rooms in November, Rosewood Little Dix Bay plans to open late 2019, Necker Island plans a partial reopening in October.
- Airport: Virgin Gorda’s Taddy Bay Airport and Anegada’s Auguste George Airport have both resumed commercial flights.
- Electricity:Digicel has restored full-service connectivity to Virgin Gorda.
- Ferry Service: Speedy’s has resumed service between Virgin Gorda and Tortola.
- Services: Sunsail yacht charter company and the Moorings charter company have reopened in Road Town.
- Water: Water has been restored to the main village of Virgin Gorda.
- Aid: Distribution centers in Virgin Gorda at North Sound Methodist Church and Yacht Harbor Town Center.
- Hotels: Carrie’s Comfort Inn, Emile’s Suites, Fort Burt Hotel, Fort Recovery Villas & Suites, Hotel Castle Maria, Hummingbird House B &B, Myetts Cane Carden Bay, Maria’s By The Sea, Nanny Cay, Rhymer’s Beach Hotel, Royal Concierge Services, Sebastian’s on the Beach, Stanley’s Welcome Villas, Surf Song Villa Resort (limited), The Moorings Mariner Inn Hotel, Treasure Isle Hotel, Village Cay Hotel and Marina, and Wyndham Turtle Bay Resort are all open
- De Loose Mongoose will open this month
- Sugar Mill Hotel has suffered some damage, but so far it appears manageable. The restaurant is expected to open by Thanksgiving and the hotel will reopen in December.
- Restaurants Open: A Taste of India, Aromas Cigar and Martini Bar, Beans Coffe Co., Camden, Tamarind Club, Peg Leg Landing, Nigel’s Boom Boom Beach Bar & Grill, Nanny Cay Beach Bar, Myett’s, Mulligans, Matcha’s Bar and Grill, HVM Restaurant at JY Marina, Sea Cows Bay, Genaker, D’ Best Cup, Captain Mulligan’s, Captain’s Kitchen, Charlie’s, Circle Cage, BananaKeet Café, Carrot Bay, Brandywine Estate Restaurant, Brandywine Bay, Bell’s Cafe, Macs Restaurant, Bobby’s Cafe, Capriccio di Mare, Ceto’s, Crandall’s Pastry Plus, Emilie’s Restaurant and Suites, Pusser’s Road Town, Gene’s Bar and Grill, Giorgio’s Cafe Fantasia, Gram’s Place, Harbor View, Island Roots, Maria’a by the Sea, D’Coal Pot, De Loose Mongoose, Garden Restaurant, Midtown Restaurant, Stone Haven Restaurant, Penn’s Landing Marina, Red Rock Restaurant, Bar at Penn’s Landing, HVM Restaurant and Bar, Irene’s Restaurant and Bar, Island Sizzle, La Baguestte, Mac’s Restaurant, Main Street Pizzeria, Marché Bar and Grill, Marriet’s Mellow Moods Cafe, Nature’s Way, Nigel’s Beah Bar and Grill, Omar’s Cafe, Original Tiger Bar and Restaurant, Paradise Club Lounge Bar and Restaurant, Pearl of the Orient, Pusser’s Landing, Rhymer’s Beach Bar and Restaurant, Rite Way Cafe, Roti Man (Mobile), Roti Queen, Save the Seed, Sebastian’s On The Beach Restaurant, Simply Delicious, Windy Hill, The Circle Cafe, The Jamaican Kitchen, The Moorings Mariner Inn, The Pub, The Rooftop by Brandywine, The Soup Shop, The Watering Hole, Tonic Bar and Restaurant, Trellis Bay Market Bar and Grill, Verandah Restaurant, Village Cay Bar and Restaurant, and Virgin Queen
- Airport: Commercial flights have resumed at the Terrance B. Lettsome International Airport on Beef Island, Tortola, hours of operation from 7:30am-5pm daily.
- Port: Ports are operational and shipments of supplies are arriving. Royal Caribbean Cruise returned to St. Thomas Nov. 10th.
- Ferry Service: Native Son Ferry service has resumes its daily schedule between St. Thomas USVI and Tortola BVI. Speedy’s has resumed service between Virgin Gorda and Tortola. New Horizon Ferry resumed service between Tortola and Jost Van Dyke.
- Services: Open now: The Moorings, Marine Max Vacations, Festiva Sailing, Conch Charters, TMM Yacht Charters, Horizon Yacht Charters as well as 8 different water sports companies and 16 marinas.
Jost Van Dyke
- Restaurants Open: Foxy’s Bar, Soggy Dollar Bar, Abe’s By The Sea, B-Line Beach Bar, Little Jost Van Dyke, Coco Loco’s Beach Bar, Cool Breeze Café, Corsair’s Beach Bar & Restaurant, Hendo’s Hideout, White Bay, Ivan’s Stress Free Bar, LSL Bake Shop & Restaurant, Mimi’s Kitchen, Seddy’s One Love Bar & Grill, and Sydney’s Peace and Love, Ali Baba’s Restaurant, B-Line Beach Bar, Foxy’s Tamarind Bar, Gertrude’s Beach Bar and Grill, Laid-Back Bar and Grill,
- Ferry: New Horizon Ferry Service Ltd resumed a temporary ferry schedule from Tortola to Jost Van Dyke.
- Pirate’s Restaurant is open
- The popular British Virgin Island, Norman Island has reopened after rebuilding post-Hurricane Irma. Popular restaurant on the island, Norman Island’s Pirates Bight officially reopened offering a full menu and drinks like “Pirates Irma Punch”.
- Restaurants Open: Cooper Island Beach Club and Restaurant, Pirates Bight on Norman Island, Pusser’s Marina Cay, Sandbox Beach Bar and Grill, Saba Rock Resort and Restaurant, Scrub Island Resort Restaurant, and Willy T.
- Hotels Open: The Cooper Island Beach Club has reopened. Scrub Island Resort & Spa is open and welcoming guests. Peter Island Resort & Spa will have a partial reopening in October. Mosquito Island has several rentals available.
- Airport: Virgin Gorda’s Taddy Bay Airport and Anegada’s Auguste George Airport have both resumed commercial flights.
- Roads: Government and local workers are clearing roadways, updates to come.
- Electricity: The Governor announced the goal is to have power restored to 90 percent of homes and businesses before December 25th.
- Events: The British Virgin Islands Spring Regatta took place March 26-April 1, 2018. The Anegada Lobster Festival will be on 25th-26th November, 2018.
Little Bay and Dog Bay Virgin Gorda